Iran offering $30K reward for killing or capturing U.S. soldiers
- Iran's military announced a $30,000 bounty for killing or capturing U.S. soldiers, with the reward doubled if carried out by a woman, as stated by Army chief Amir Hatami.
- No U.S. ground forces have been deployed in Iran during the Middle East war, except for a significant rescue operation in April for a downed American airman involving around 200 U.S. troops and over 170 aircraft.
- The conflict between Iran and the U.S. began on February 28 with attacks by the U.S. and Israel on Iran, followed by a ceasefire in April and a failed peace framework in June, but sporadic fighting continues, mainly near the Strait of Hormuz.
- Since the war's start, 17 U.S. military personnel have been killed, all outside Iran in countries such as Jordan and Iraq, while indirect diplomatic contacts have persisted without major progress.
Iran’s military announced on Sunday that it was offering a bounty equivalent to $30,000 for killing or capturing U.S. soldiers, with the reward doubled if carried out by a woman.
Army chief Amir Hatami said the plan had been drawn up following a “large number of requests” to participate, according to the IRNA state news agency.
There has been no known deployment of U.S. ground forces in Iran during the Middle East war, with the exception of a rescue mission in April for a downed American airman.
Hatami did not provide any details on where or when the killing or capturing of U.S. soldiers was expected to take place.
“Anyone who kills or captures and hands over an invading American military personnel will receive a reward equivalent to $30,000 or 5 billion tomans from the Islamic Republic of Iran’s Army,” Hatami said, using an informal unit equivalent to 10,000 Iranian rials.
“Courageous Iranian women who carry out such an action will receive double the reward,” he added.
Hatami repeated Iran’s call for the U.S. to leave the Middle East, and said “they no longer have permission to enter the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman or the Strait of Hormuz.”
The war between Tehran and Washington began on February 28 when the United States and Israel attacked Iran.
Just over a month into the war, the U.S. launched a massive rescue operation to retrieve the weapon systems officer of an F-15 jet, involving around 200 U.S. troops and more than 170 aircraft racing to find the airman ahead of Iranian forces.
During the rescue, Iranian troops damaged an A-10 ground attack aircraft which was ditched over friendly territory. The U.S. also reportedly abandoned and destroyed aircraft used during the mission, including a C-130 transport plane.
Days before, the pilot of the F-15 was rescued by a helicopter crew in a smaller operation.
The war was later paused by an April ceasefire after nearly 40 days of fighting, followed by a June framework for peace talks that later collapsed.
Iran and the United States have since traded fire sporadically, with fighting mainly centred in southern Iran and around the Strait of Hormuz.
Indirect contact between the two sides via mediators has continued with little sign of any diplomatic breakthrough. Iran has also set out a list of demands for reopening the strait, including war damages.
The number of U.S. military personnel killed since the start of the war stands at 17, with the most recent deaths in July. They have all been killed outside of Iran, in countries including Jordan and Iraq.