One dead after sword attack at Swedish school
- At least one person has died and several others were injured after a sword-wielding attacker entered Brinellskolan high school in Fagersta, central Sweden; the attacker, an 18-year-old former student, was shot in the leg by police and detained.
- Two seriously wounded boys aged between 12 and 17 were hospitalized, one undergoing emergency surgery, while a third injured person was en route to the hospital; the school and nearby schools were placed in lockdown during the ongoing rescue operation.
- The motive for the attack remains unclear, and authorities continue to investigate while providing support to the affected community; the incident follows previous violent attacks at Swedish educational institutions.
- Swedish leaders, including Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson, expressed their condolences and solidarity with the victims and the town of Fagersta during this difficult time.
At least one person has died after a sword-wielding attacker entered a high school in central Sweden, authorities said, while media reported the perpetrator had been shot by police.
Regional healthcare director Jonas Cederberg earlier told AFP that two “seriously wounded” people had been admitted to hospital. A third person whose injuries had yet to be ascertained was in the process of being brought to hospital.
The two seriously wounded were boys between the ages of 12 and 17, one of whom was in emergency surgery though both were in stable condition, the healthcare authority said on its website.
“An assailant armed with a sword has entered Brinellskolan and wounded several people,” the Fagersta municipality said in a statement, adding that the assailant had been detained by police.
Police said they had received reports of the attack just after 2:00 pm (1200 GMT).
Students, just back from their summer holidays, were still in lockdown at the school more than three hours later, said public broadcaster SVT’s reporter from the scene.
The local authority said a little later that the lockdown had been lifted.
The local authority did not specify how many people had been wounded but said in a statement that police were still searching the school and that several other schools in the area had been locked down.
The local authority postponed a news conference initially scheduled for 5:00 pm, saying “a rescue operation” was still ongoing.
The motive for the attack was not immediately clear.
Aftonbladet newspaper reported that the attacker had been shot in the leg by police. It also cited unidentified sources as saying the attacker was an 18-year-old former student of the school.
Images on public broadcaster SVT showed multiple ambulances and police cars parked outside the school as well as a police helicopter.
The school has around 450 students, in a town of around 12,000 inhabitants.
In May, the municipality announced that students at Brinellskolan had been sent home following a threat to the school.
‘Serious incident’
Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson told AFP in a written statement that “a serious incident has taken place today at a school in Fagersta, just after the summer holidays.”
“There are reports of people being injured. We do not yet know what lies behind the attack, but we do know that the police are working extremely intensively,” Kristersson said.
Magdalena Andersson, leader of the opposition Social Democrats, lamented the “terrible news” from Fagersta, in a post on X.
Fruktansvärda uppgifter från Fagersta. Mina tankar går till de som drabbats och alla som berörs. När våld äger rum på en skola vet jag att det påverkar alla i vårt land. Hela Sverige står tillsammans med Fagersta i denna svåra stund.
— Magdalena Andersson (@magdandersson) August 21, 2026
“My thoughts are with those affected and everyone involved,” she said.
“When violence takes place at a school, I know it impacts everyone in our country. All of Sweden stands with Fagersta in this difficult time.”
Sweden has suffered some high-profile attacks at educational institutions.
In February 2025, a 35-year-old man killed 10 people at an adult education centre in Orebro — Sweden’s worst mass shooting.
Police said it had been motivated by the killer’s wish to end his life because of financial and psychological woes.
In March 2022, an 18-year-old student stabbed two teachers to death at a secondary school in the southern city of Malmo.
And in October 2015, three people were killed in a racially motivated attack at a school in the western town of Trollhattan by a sword-wielding assailant who was killed by police.